What do I do if my vehicle is stolen and the original policy is lost?

Nobody wants to walk out to the parking lot or a street where their car is parked and discover that the vehicle has been stolen. It is an uncomfortable moment, especially when your original policy is kept in your car or when you have lost the policy documentation.

Call the Police

The first step after any theft is calling the police and reporting the theft. Whether you have your car insurance policy or you have lost the policy, the police will make a formal report.

During the process of making a report, you will need to provide some basic information. The police may ask for the make, model and VIN of the car. License plates may also be useful so that the authorities can take steps to try finding your vehicle if it has not yet left the area.

Call Your Insurer

Even if you do not have the original policy, your insurer will usually maintain a copy of your policy for their records. Call your insurer after you have talked to the police and report the situation.

You may be asked to provide a copy of the police report to the insurer to prove that the theft took place. Depending on your car insurance policy, the solutions and funds that you may be provided can vary. Some insurers may pay to replace the vehicle while others may offer a lower payment based on the depreciation rates. If you do not have the original policy, then ask for a copy of the policy at the time you report the situation.

It is frustrating and scary to discover that your car is missing, but that does not mean you cannot make a claim on your insurance policy. Contact us to talk to an agent to learn more about your coverage options.