Everyone wants to save. And when it comes to auto insurance, it isn’t uncommon for motorists to buy the state-required minimum auto insurance. But is it adequate? Hang on as THINK Insurance & Financial Services of Pomona, CA advises whether you need more than the state’s minimum car insurance.
State-required auto insurance in California
Like many states, California requires drivers to carry auto insurance. Here are coverages that car owners are expected to maintain:
- Bodily injury liability: Covers you when you are legally liable for an accident that causes physical harm to other people. The minimum required is $15,000 per person and twice the amount for accidents relating to more than one person.
- Property damage liability: Pays for damages that you cause to other people’s property. The minimum amount required in California is $5,000.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Provides bodily injury and property damage coverage when you collide with a motorist with no insurance. In California, this insurance is optional, but it’s highly recommended.
As you can see, the minimum coverage limits may not protect you when involved in a severe accident. To avoid sliding into a financial mess, talk to your insurance agent to increase your liability limit. Alternatively, you can consider umbrella insurance to offer you extra liability protection when faced with significant liability claims.
Are the minimum-required auto insurance coverages sufficient?
While observing the state-required minimums is essential, most drivers consider other insurance coverages for optimal coverage. You see, the required auto insurance coverages cover other people but not you and your vehicle. That said, if you need well-rounded protection, consider the below optional coverages:
- Collision coverage: To cover physical damage to your car when you collide with other motorists.
- Comprehensive coverage: Protects your vehicle against non-collision-related perils like theft and vandalism.
- Medical payments coverage: Pays for medical expenses for you and your passengers when involved in an accident.
Are you looking for auto insurance coverage in Pomona, CA? Please contact THINK Insurance & Financial Services for a competitive quote.