Renters insurance is valuable coverage that protects you in the event of loss, damage, and theft. To ensure a smooth process when making a renters insurance claim with THINK Insurance & Financial Services, serving Pomona, CA, use the following tips.
1. Maintain an Inventory
As soon as you move into your rental unit, take an inventory of your possessions. An easy way to do this is to video everything around each room. Remember to include hidden items inside closets and drawers, paying special attention to valuable items. Get a photo or video of your sports equipment, such as bicycles, skis, etc. Do the same with any rental storage unit you own. When you make a new purchase, photograph it or create another video.
2. Keep Receipts
Keep receipts for any new, valuable purchases you make. Scan the receipts and organize them into a folder on your hard drive. This will make sending the digital file to your insurance company representative easy.
3. Report Theft to the Police
If your loss involves a theft, your insurance company may require you to have a police report. Be sure to report the theft and get a police report, even if you feel the police won’t be able to track down your items.
4. Obtain Surveillance Video
Your rental manager may have outside surveillance video that could have captured the theft on tape. Ask to see the video and obtain a copy, if possible. This could be an essential support piece for your renter’s insurance claim. If you can’t get a copy, let the insurance company know it exists.
Your insurance representative at THINK Insurance & Financial Services, serving Pomona, CA is happy to help you with your renter’s insurance claim questions. Contact us today to learn more.
The rise of short-term rental platforms like Airbnb has opened up new opportunities for condo owners to earn extra income by renting out their units in and around Pomona, CA. However, this trend also brings about unique insurance considerations that condo owners must carefully navigate. Renting out your condo on Airbnb can lead to potential coverage gaps and implications for your insurance policy.
Coverage Gaps and Condo Insurance
Traditional condo insurance policies are designed to cover owner-occupied units, which means they may not adequately protect you when you engage in short-term rentals through platforms like Airbnb. Here are some coverage gaps to be aware of:
- Liability Coverage: Most standard condo insurance policies provide liability coverage for injuries or damages within your unit, but there may be additional liability risks that your policy may not fully cover.
- Property Damage: If a guest damages your condo during their stay, you may not have sufficient coverage for the repairs or replacements required.
- Loss of Income: Short-term rental cancelations may not be covered.
Options for Short-Term Rental Coverage
Recognizing the evolving landscape of short-term rentals, insurance companies are offering solutions to help condo owners bridge the coverage gaps:
- Endorsements or Riders: These endorsements typically provide enhanced liability protection and may cover property damage caused by guests.
- Commercial Host Insurance: This policy can offer comprehensive coverage for liability, property damage, and loss of income related to your Airbnb activities.
- Vacation Rental Insurance: Vacation rental insurance is tailored for property owners who rent their units short-term. This type of policy may offer more comprehensive coverage.
THINK Insurance & Financial Services Can Help You
At THINK Insurance & Financial Services, we can answer all your questions concerning condo insurance. We assist the Pomona, CA region. Contact us today.